Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The Truth About The Devlins: Book Reviews

 



The Truth About The Devlins

By Lisa Scottoline

Netgalley


I have read several novels by Lisa Scottoline. I have to say this has to be the best yet of her thrillers. I had hoped she would write another historical fiction. I was disappointed it wasn't another one like Loyalty. But, its ok, still love Lisa's novels. 

I don't know what it is but thrillers are different now adays, from the younger authors. I love the thrillers from the old school, like Grisham, and of course Scottoline. The newer thrillers are mostly, domestic thrillers( husband, wife). It doesn't give me a thrill as much as the older thrillers who have been around for years. 

Anyway, the novel takes place in Philly with a legal family. The family has wealth, prestige, and connections of course. All the kids are are well established lawyers except TJ. TJ unfortunately isn't exactly a black sheep. He just made some bad mistakes, and decisions. 

His brother, John calls him during their father's birthday celebration. His brother, John thinks he accidentally killed someone. They go out to the scene of the accident, he is missing. At this time he is also working for the family's legal corporation. His Sister, a lawyer asks him to investigate a lawsuit involving a correctional facility connected with a pharmaceutical company testing inmates without consent. The victims have long term health issues after which causes a lawsuit many years later.

The novel deals with wealthy families who think they can't be touched( insular) with their money, connections. Do you keep helping your children get out of their messes and bring you down? What ever the cost to the family? Do you pay? Or do you do "tough love"?

There is a lot of heart, love, family, social justice, and morals. You expect to know where the novel is going with TJ, you don't. There is so much more I can say. But, I don't want to spoil it.  This is much more than a thriller, its family dynamics, and character without being too deep. FYI- Its not too deep and preachy, no lessons( at all). But, you realize there is looking at abuse( alcohol) a different way, and the prison system as well. 

I Recommend if you love the author. I think its her best( thriller). Loved the fast pace, kept you thinking, and captivating...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth About The Devlins: Book Reviews

  The Truth About The Devlins By Lisa Scottoline Netgalley I have read several novels by Lisa Scottoline. I have to say this has to be the b...