Friday, November 24, 2023

Black Cake: Book Review

 



Black Cake

By Charmaine Wilkerson

Library Copy

I have seen the novel, Black Cake since it came out. I have so many books to read on my TBR list and in my Kindle ready to read. But, new books keep coming out. I just didn't have the time to pick it up yet. Perhaps the title didn't tickle my fancy. Was I wrong, yes. The novel is awesome. I finally picked up, Black Cake because the book club I belong to chose Black Cake. 

I don't know how to put the book into words how much I enjoyed reading. It was a different type of read. Would you call it literary fiction? a thriller? with family dynamics. I don't know but I loved it. Totally different than anything I've read. I enjoyed reading the imagery of the island, the culture, and society, and the events of Jamaica in the 1960's. I love reading about cultural diversity. Black Cake was all that and more. 

The few gripes I have about the book. 1) Starting the book you must get used to the author's literary style. It took a bit to understand who and what was going on. Once you understand the writer's style you get comfortable reading.2) The author introduces the characters not all at once but slowly introduces them into the story. Which confuses you for a short while.3) Then the different timelines does become confusing as well for a short time. But once it comes together it is a breeze. 4) Short chapters make it easy to digest. 5) The only problem readers may have an issue is. It reminded me of the movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark 2 was a roller coaster ride. Meaning there was too much going on. No downtime to settle and absorb the story. Not everyone would like this writing style of the author. For me, I still enjoyed reading. This may be a writing style trick to make you think how short life is. Just my assessment. 

There are two timelines, and locations one in the present day, and the other in the 1960s. Locations, California, England, and the Caribbean. In the center of the story is the mystery of their mother, Elenor Bennett's Black Cake. 

The children of Elenor Bennett, Benny, and Byron( B and B) are in their mother's home after she passed away. The one request is for the children to listen to their mother's recording. On the other hand is Covey( Elenor), a bi-racial girl raised by "Lin" who is a gambler, and a shop owner on the island. Covey's mother, Matilda left her daughter behind as a young child. 

We meet Covey, who likes to swim, surf, and compete. She also likes to learn and help Pearl make and bake Black Cake which is infused over and over with the tradition and customs in Jamaica. Which is illustrated in the novel. 

Then her friend, Bunny, and she are joined at the hip and do everything together, including competing. Then something happens to Covey and she must find a way to escape her situation which her father caused. I am not going to go any further or I may ruin the book if you choose to read it. All I will say as there are secrets about Covey to be uncovered as you read the novel. And more continents to travel to. 

While reading I was confronted with the question: Do I really know my Mom and Dad? Are there secrets that are eventually uncovered? Others that are held onto maybe because of the shame and not revealed ever. 

The novel has many themes which I was surprised it brought up. Shame, racism, colonialism, bi-racial, elitists, working class,  English society, family Secrets, family dynamics, and shame. I'm sure more that I didn't address. 

No wonder the book is talked about so much by book clubs and now a feature film streaming on Hulu. There is so much to discuss in groups and I recommend it to literary readers looking for a quick read that actually reads like suspense.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth About The Devlins: Book Reviews

  The Truth About The Devlins By Lisa Scottoline Netgalley I have read several novels by Lisa Scottoline. I have to say this has to be the b...