Saturday, September 14, 2024

Soul of an Octopus: Book Review


Soul of an Octopus

By Sy Montgomery

( my copy)




I never thought I would be interested in learning about an Octopus. After reading, Remarkable Bright Creatures I definitely changed my mind. I've become more curious. I have watched, The Octopus Teacher on Netflix and National Geographic documentary on Hulu. I didn't know the amazing things Octopuses are able to do. They have no spine so they slither in and out of places, change colors, they can give you love bites up and down your arms with their suckers. They have three hearts, 2000 suckers, and much, much more.

After reading Remarkable Bright Creatures recommended by my cyberfriend Cynthia Timko I can say it was a well worth read. The memoir is about her time in the New England Aquarium in Boston, and her friendship, relationship, and bonding and experiences with the Octopus, Kali, and Octavia. From beginning of life till their timely death(they only live 3-5 years.
In between the sentences are slivers of scientific facts. I wish the author explained more about the anatomy of the Octopus and the many interesting facts. But I assume this wasn't the author's goal. It was more about the relationship they had.
The author wanted to tell her story about the bond between her and her love of her Octopuses (Octopus whisperer). The life cycle of the beginning of the young octopus to their death. Octopus don't live long. Both Female and Male die after having sex and fertilizing the eggs. The author also shared her experiences diving in the ocean exploring for Octopuses in the big wide ocean.
The interesting part was sharing her experience for the first time putting on and taking off her wet suit. What an experience. I didn't realize how hard it is getting used to, using the regulator. I assume we all know about the "Bends", what an experience she had.
I enjoyed reading about the life and experience and love the author had with her friends, Kali and Octavia, the octopuses. I am going to miss her stories. I would like to recommend to anyone who loves, animals, oceans, octopuses and nature. But, especially if you plan on reading, Remarkable Bright Creatures, The Soul of the Octopus compliments each other. BTW, if you haven't read Remarkable Bright Creatures you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Soul of an Octopus: Book Review

Soul of an Octopus By Sy Montgomery ( my copy) I never thought I would be interested in learning about an Octopus. After reading, Remarkable...